Zeitungen in den USA geht es nicht besonders gut. Xark! glaubt nicht, dass es besser wird. Das Blog benennt zehn Gründe, „why newspapers won’t reinvent news“. Dazu zählt:
1. Newspapers‘ core audience still doesn’t want change
2. The culture of newspaper management is a dysfunctional relic of a low-bandwidth, monopoly era.
3. The culture of newsroom leadership contains a fatal 20th century flaw: A fundamental belief that equates all new trends with dangerous „fads.“
5. Newspapers don’t „own“ enough creative technological expertise to constitute a viable tech infrastructure.
6. Inertia, uncertainty and toxic paralysis rule most newspaper companies.
7. Individual ad-reps still make more money selling print ads than Web ads.
8. Newspapers have already lost one of their key selling points: Social currency.
9. The connection between quality and profitability has been broken irreparably.
10. Finally: Newspaper companies hate modern journalism.